Explain To A Family Law Judge Why A Court Order Modification Is Or Is Not Right

When life circumstances change significantly for one or both parents or ex-spouses, a modification to a custody or support court order may be justifiable. Changes that may trigger a modification of a court order include:

  • A significant increase or decrease in income or expenses for one or both divorced or separated parents when one pays child support
  • A significant change in work schedules of one or both divorced or separated parents who share custody
  • The need for one or both divorced or separated parents to move away — out of the area, out of town or even out of state
  • The remarriage or cohabitation of an ex-spouse who receives spousal support

Understand The Impact Of The Law On Proposed Changes

Whether you are the parent or ex-spouse proposing a court order modification or you want to protest a proposal for a modification, you should know what the law says about your situation.

For example, in Arkansas, divorced or separated parents may be custodial or noncustodial parents. Sometimes the noncustodial parent is in that position because of problems such as drug abuse. If the noncustodial parent overcomes his or her drug dependency problem, he or she may request a modified custody and visitation schedule — including more time with the child.

Also, be aware that laws affecting custody, support and court order modifications often change. It is important to work with an experienced lawyer who stays up-to-date and ready to advise you appropriately.

Consult With Me, Family Law Attorney Lori D. Howard

From law offices in Benton, I represent clients throughout the area. I offer free 30-minute initial consultations. Call 501-794-6991 today to schedule a discussion, or contact me online so we can talk about when you can meet.